This building was built prior to 1912. The mercantile was known to do business with the A & C and Swansea railroads in 1916. It has been open continuously since that time. Bouse postmaster Cora L. Johnston moved the US Post Office to the store in 1924.
The Townsend Family bought the A & C in 1942. Elsie Pearl Townsend was postmaster from 1942 to 1962.
In 1943 and 1944 the US Army at Camp Bouse used the A & C as their PX and Post Office.
The A & C Mercantile Co, is still open serving the local residents, winter visitors, ranchers and tourists daily
ERECTED - 2000 by Lost Dutchman 5917 – 4, E Clampus Vitus and Bouse Chamber of Commerce.
LOCATION - 33° 55.9′ N, 114° 0.325′ W.
Marker is in Bouse, Arizona, in La Paz County. Marker is on Broadway Avenue (Arizona Route 72 at milepost 27), on the left when traveling west.
44362 E. Main Street
(P.O. Box 817)
PH: (928) 851-2509
CLICK HERE to meet the Board
or Download Minutes & Agendas